Sunday, March 11, 2012

John Carter: a surprisingly enjoyable show, despite bad reviews

I never am a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs works. So I had no idea what the movie John Carter (adapted from his novel) is about, and thus I watched the show without any expectation. Yeah, the trailer is cool enough & so are the movie posters. Heh. I know, kind of a lame excuse. But hey, that's just me!

Here are the trailer and the exclusive 10-minute scene of the movie.


John Carter Trailer 2012 -- Official Movie Trailer | HD


John Carter - Exclusive Ten Minute Scene




The first poster is the one I like the most due to its minimalist in its use of colors. (And red is a nice touch to represent Mars). The second poster is definitely in Spanish with its tag line 'Dos mundos, un héroe' is translated in English as 'Two worlds, one hero'.

Anyway.

I went to watch the show & after being warmed up with the exciting trailers of the Amazing Spider-man, Gone, and the Hunger Games, I was in the very right mindset to enjoy (or fall asleep) the movie, John Carter.

I did enjoy it.

Still I wonder how others assess on the show. Mostly unflattering like the ones reviewed by Daily Mail UK ("A monstrous flop: lame heroes, a ghastly script.. and albino space wombats. Welcome to 2012's first mega-disaster"), MTV ("'John Carter': The Reviews Are In!" and its caption: Critics are not finding much to praise in film based on Edgar Rice Burroughs hero.), Guardian ("John Carter – review" and its caption: The fantasy-romance adventures of a civil war veteran transported to Mars made for a giant, suffocating doughy feast of boredom.)

Tomatometer indicates a lousy 50% as well.

Well, each to their own. Bad reviews notwithstanding, I still enjoy the show!

No comments: