Saturday, September 08, 2012

of Robert Stephen Dahlberg (finally!) surrenders

Great to finally have a follow-up to "Robert Stephen Dahlberg and Robert James Springall - The cowardly, but GREAT escape...". At least, one of the cowards Robert Stephen Dahlberg is reported to finally surrender himself to the police.

So when will we have the last coward, Robert James Springall get himself realize that he cannot run forever? He too should have surrendered sooner!

A New Zealander who was wanted by Interpol for absconding while on court bail for an assault case here has returned and surrendered himself to the police.

In a statement, the police said that Robert Stephen Dahlberg, 35, returned to Singapore on Thursday and was arrested upon arrival.

The New Zealander was charged with assault after he and two expatriates were involved in a brawl at Suntec City two years ago.

He is accused of voluntarily hurting two taxi drivers and two taxi passengers.

Believed to have been drunk, the trio also hijacked and crashed a taxi. Dahlberg fled the country after he and his friends were charged in July last year.

Briton Robert James Springall, 25, also fled in December. The two men were subsequently put on Interpol's wanted list.

Australian Nathan Robert Miller, 36, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three weeks in jail in February this year.

Springall is still at large and wanted by the Interpol.

Update:

Dahlberg appeared in court Friday morning to face charges for voluntarily causing grievous hurt and causing hurt with a rash act.

He faces two amended charges of causing hurt by committing a rash act and grievous hurt at Temasek Boulevard last year, The Straits Times reported.

The maximum penalty for causing grievous hurt is 10 years, a fine or to caning. For causing hurt by a rash act, the maximum punishment is one year and a $5,000 fine.
From Asiaone, "NZ man wanted for Suntec brawl turns himself in".

A New Zealander who fled Singapore last year while on court bail was in the docks on Friday morning after turning himself in.

35-year-old Robert Stephen Dahlberg was charged following a brawl at Suntec City in 2010.

Two other expatriates - a Briton and an Australian - were also allegedly involved.

The court heard on Friday that Dhalberg turned himself in to Singapore police on Thursday.

He faces two amended charges of causing hurt by a rash act, as well as for voluntarily causing grievous hurt.

Court documents stated that Dhalberg allegedly swung his fist and hit Mr Laurence Wong Seong in the head.

The documents also stated that he allegedly held Mr Paul Louis Liew Kai Ming by the neck, slammed his head against a pillar and kicked him in the face.

Dhalberg's lawyer, Mr Wendell Wong, told the court that Dhalberg had voluntarily surrendered himself because he wanted to "abide by the due process of the court".

He asked the court for more time to confer with the prosecution on the likelihood of further charges.

Dhalberg is in remand and his next court appearance is on 21 September.

Briton Robert James Springall, 25, who also fled Singapore after being charged, is still on the run.

Australian Nathan Robert Miller, 36, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three weeks' jail in February 2012.

The maximum penalty for causing grievous hurt is 10 years, a fine or caning.

For causing hurt by a rash act, the maximum punishment is one year and a S$5,000 fine.

In a statement issued to the media, Dhalberg said he voluntarily returned to Singapore to face charges relating to an incident on 11 April 2010. He was accompanied by his father.

"I return to co-operate fully with the Singapore authorities and abide by the due process of the case before the Singapore courts," he said in the statement.

"I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused to the Singapore Police whilst I was outside Singapore. I continue to extend my apologies to Mr Liew and offer to pay for Mr Liew's medical expenses. I hope my return will allow everyone involved to find closure," he said.

Dhalberg said his friends and family continue to provide support and are funding his legal representation.
From Channel NewsAsia, "New Zealander who fled Singapore goes back to court".

No comments: