Tuesday, February 12, 2013

of uncanny similarity between "Journey To The West: Conquering The Demons" and the game "Asura's Wrath" (Gimme back Stephen Chow's *inventive* movies starring by Stephen Chow himself!)

Sigh. I did not do my homework. I had no idea that Stephen Chow is not the main actor (or even is featured at all) in the movie, "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons". So I watched it during Chinese New Year celebration and I was sorely disappointed.

And also kind of distracted with the scene where the cosmically giant Buddha appears and palms down Sun Wukong aka the Monkey King aka the self-proclaimed "Great Sage, Equal of Heaven".

Where did I watch it? I wonder. I knew the scene is familiar. Then I recalled about this Capcom game, "Asura's Wrath" (アスラズ ラース Asurazu Rāsu) which I blogged last time, "Asura's Wrath trivialising Hinduism?".

Here are the relevant screenshots of the game trailer which I'd say very much 'inspire' the Stephen Chow's movie.


And compare the above with the movie trailer, "First Teaser For Stephen Chow's JOURNEY TO THE WEST 2013":


Yeah, same character: H-U-G-E Buddha in the sky. Attacking the defiant Asura and Sun Wukong, respectively, with his right index finger and right palm in the game trailer and the movie trailer, uhm, respectively.

And of the course the irresistible similarity (which screenshots I fail to grab, by the way) of the "Asura's Wrath" game trailer part (1:44-1:45) where the game character stomps his right foot and then his left one). You know what, the movie trailer (0:52-0:54), "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons", Sun Wukong did just the same.

I don't mean to give too much a spoiler, but I'd prefer the story somewhat follows the original plot of the book. After all, is Journey to the West not one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature??? So yes, while, I am compelled to agree that the movie is an "inventive new take on the classical novel Journey To The West", I really dislike how the sequence of the disciples (in term of encountering which one first) is reversed. We're used to read it's Sun Wukong, and then Zhu Bajie and then Sha Wujing. Yet, this 'inventive' movie has the sequence completely reversed? Sigh.

Or perhaps, I can easier accept this 'inventive' movie if Stephen Chow is indeed starring in it? After all, I did enjoy his previously 'inventive' shows: A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (西遊記第壹佰零壹回之月光寶盒) and the second is A Chinese Odyssey Part Two: Cinderella (西遊記大結局之仙履奇緣).

PS. Yeah, especially this part on the 'inventive' song, "Only You" by the priest, Xuanzang. Hehe.

Only You — Chinese Odyssey II — Cinderella

No comments: