Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Groupon cheated me....NOT!!!


Yes. I thought it was a great deal offered by Groupon: 50% discount of Grilled Gala Platter at Manhattan Fish Market worth $42.25.

Groupon lied.

I checked the menu in the restaurant & I was dismayed to see that the actual price of such a menu is only $35.90.

Did I read it wrongly?

So after a bitter dinner, I verified it at the official website of Manhattan Fish Market, the price of Grilled Gala Platter is indeed $35.90!



Groupon lied.

No more Groupon for me!!

(I am sure the rest of 4,826 people who bought the deal will swear the same...)




Update: Thanks to Sheena who commented on GST & service charge. I calculated that $42.25 is about 17% higher than $35.90. That means the 17% is contributed by 7% GST & 10% service charge.

Shame on me.

I have stricken the wrong statements in this post. And added "...NOT" in the title of this post.

2 comments:

Sheena said...

Hello :) did u pay GST n service charge after u used ur groupon? If u didn't, then I think Groupon didn't cheat you cos' that price is after the GST n service charge.
But if you did have to pay for the service charge and GST after using your groupon, then I think you may need to feedback to them :) cheers :))

vanderia said...

GST is supposed to be paid as a percentage of the amount paid though. (According to IRAS website http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=10722)

If I paid $21.10 for it, why am I paying 17% taxes based on the original price of $35.90?